Today we discuss related to database management system including advantages of DBMS, disadvantages of DBMS, Components of database system, Applications of DBMS and Characteristics of DBMS.
Database is a collection of related data. Any pices of information can be a data. A large and persistent collection of (more-or-less similar) pieces of information organized in a way that facilitates efficient retrieval and modification.
Database management System is collection of data and set of programs to access the data. It allows creation, manipulationand definition of database.
Components of Database System
- Users : Users may be of various type such as System developer ,DB administrator and End users.
- Database application : Database application may be Personal, Enterprise Departmental and Internal.
- DBMS : Software that allow users to create,define and manages database access.
- Database : Collection of logical data.
Applications of DBMS
- Banking: Banks uses database for customer accounts, details, loans and other transactions.
- Education : Colleges, schools and universities use database for course details , examination details ,registration: ,result.
- Airlines: Airlines uses online database for reservation,departure of the planes and arrival ,schedule information.
- Credit card transactions: It is used to keep track of purchases on credit cards to generate statements.
- E-commerce: It uses online databases for buying and selling of products, internet marketing, online transaction processing.
- Telecommunications: Telecommunication department uses database to store information related to details of calls, telephone numbers, generating bills
- Human resources:
Advantages of DBMS
- Controlling Data Redundancy: If database have more than one records of same type then it is called data redundancy.
- Data Shairing: Data can be shared by authorized users of the organization among multiple users.
- Data Security: Data security is the protection of the database from unauthorized access.
- Enforcing Data Integrity: Data integrity is much easier
- Ease of application development: he programmer needs to develop applications according to user specification.
- Multiple user interfaces: DBMS provides different types of user interfaces.
- Reduced Maintenance: It can be easily maintainable due to centralized nature of the system.
- Data Independence: Keeps data separated from all programs that make use of it
- Backup and recovery
- Minimal data duplicacy.
- Easy retrieval of data.
- Reduced development time and maintainance need.
Disadvantages of DBMS
- Cost of Data Conversion
- Higher impact of failure
- Large in size
- Database system creates additional complexity and requirements.
Characteristics of DBMS
- It reduces complex relationships between data.
- It provides different interfaces which user can manipulate the data.
- Enforces user defined rules and ensures data sharing.
- It has automatic backup and recovery procedures.
- Integrated database helps in understanding relationship between data stored in different applications.
- Changes made in the database schema should not affect the other levels.
- Provides clear and logical view of process that manipulates data.
- It contains ACID properties which stands for Atomicity, Consistency, Isolation and Durability which maintains data in healthy state in case of failure.
- Controls data redundancy and control over security.
If anyone has doubts on this topic then please do let me know by leaving comments or send me an email.